Marcella Hazan has been an inspiration to cooks around the world for decades. We found her simple tomato sauce a while back by accident. The first time we made Marcell Hazan’s tomato sauce, our jaws dropped before we could even taste this because of the delightful smell our home was filled with.
We have made this sauce just how Marcella describes but we have put our own twists on this a few times. See the recipe below for our take on Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce.
Our take on this simple sauce has received raved reviews every time we make it for someone. We have also modified this recipe to turn into a tomato bisque by adding shredded parmesan cheese during the last 5-10 minutes of the sauce simmering. Or try our healthy twist on chicken parmesan!
Our Take on Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce
- 6 heirloom tomatoes smashed
- 5 tbsp butter
- ½ white onion
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Slice a thin X on the bottom of each tomato
- Add tomatoes to pot of boiling water
- After 1 minute remove tomatoes and place in bowl of ice water to cool
- Peel and crush heirloom tomatoes
- In stock pot add butter, onion, pinch of salt, crushed red pepper, crushed garlic, and crushed tomatoes
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until thicken to your liking
- Stir every so often and crush tomato chunks
- Taste and add additional salt if needed
- Remove onion and garlic from sauce and serve over you favorite pasta
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!